Windows 7/ATI Catalyst

Question

I have a program running in Windows 7 called ATI Catalyst and I haven't a clue where it came from or what it does but I want to get rid of it. Can you tell me what purpose it serves and if it's required using Windows 7?

Also, how would I uninstall it. After going into "uninstall a program" in control panel, I see "ATI Catalyst Control Manager" and that's all. I'm not sure uninstalling it is a good idea until I find out what it is.

When I go to task manager, I see it running. When I reboot, Zone Alarm's firewall ask me to give permission to let ATI connect to my computer, which I don't allow.

This is making me crazy. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance :)

Answer
hi Harry,
ATI is (or was until HP bought them) a Video Card manufacturer among other things.

ATI Catalyst is a program that is installed when the video card drivers are installed.  It is used to modify the settings

It is not recommended to uninstall it.

Kevin

Windows 7

Kevin