Windows 7/MS Security Essentials running very slow,if at all

Security Essentials main window
Security Essentials ma  
Hello: I have Win 7 Home premium and am using Security Essentials for my AV.I got a notification from Security Essentials that my computer could be at risk,as I hadn't done a full scan in some time.Anyway,I started a full scan,but it doesn't seem to be progressing-the progress bar isn't advancing.I started the scan at 4:46 PM,and it is 6:36 PM as I write this.What is going on?

Hello Michael

MS Security Essentials is crap!  Microsoft may make the operating system but when it comes to building additional security they just can't seem to get it right. The best thing you can do is uninstall it and get yourself real antivirus which is Free, through Avast.. Visit my website at and read the TIPS on OPTIMIZING your computer. Then go to the SOFTWARE/SUPPORT page and install all the items from the PINK section as they will help with the cleaning, removal and ongoing maintenance from malware/spyware and other problems you may come across.

Also, from the start menu type 'defender' and then click on WINDOWS DEFENDER go in to the options/settings for administration and disable this. You will gain about 5-10% speed on your computer as well, if you have been using the Internet Explorer, Don't!  You should be using CHROME as it is by far the fastest, safest and most secure web browser on the market. I also suggest the Avant browser, simply as the backup as it emulates the internet explorer exactly and having it installed, you can use this when you happen to come across a web page that doesn't open correctly in Chrome (which is becoming few and far between as it has now become the world's most used browser)

After you have installed avast and have it up to date, I suggest performing a BOOT TIME VIRUS SCAN which will scan outside of the windows environment, making sure you are completely clear from viruses.

Hope this helps

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.