Windows 7/wifi network displayed as open or secure

Question
Hi, I am fairly new to Windows 7.  My question has to do with the list of Wi-Fi networks in range.  Seems on my old computer, the display of this list showed me whether or not it was an open or secure network.  Using Windows 7 I have to click on the network and then attempt to access it and if it is secure it then asks for the network key which I don't have.  My question is, is there a way to know whether these available networks are open or secure and that way I won't have to waste my time going through that exercise?

Answer
Windows 7 Wifi
Windows 7 Wifi  
Hello Savannah
the Wi-Fi network that has a little shield on top of the wifi singal mean its not secure or open " no password needed to connect to it"

I attached a picture to show you exactly what I ean

if you need more help please feel free to contact me back
have a wonderful day.

Windows 7

Saed Shawwa