Windows 7/win 7 clean install

I purchased a win 7 home premium disk.  I have done a clean install before, but I wonder if i did it right.  It shows two partitions.  Do I delete them both and create one big one?  Just wondering.  Thanks in advance.  I've done research all over the net, but most answers are about blank hard drives, or upgrades.  Can't find the right answer.

Generally, I like to create two partitions: one for the OS and apps, and another for my data (this is in machines that don't have two physical drives). Be careful, however, because one of those partitions might be a system restore partition (especially if that's a laptop computer).

Windows 7

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any questions about how to use Microsoft Windows 7. Also, please be sure to check the Windows Tips & Tricks and Windows 7 Tutorials sections of my web site.

I have been using Windows 7 since before it was released. I have been using all versions of Windows since the early 90s. I have been an Expert here on AllExperts for many years in the topics of Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.

I am the author of THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE to MICROSOFT EXCEL 2010. I have created a line of Windows computer tutorials online at and

Personally, I am self taught. I've learned everything I know from books and trial & error. If I don't know the answer, I know how to find it.

I have over 20,000 happy clients worldwide.