Windows 7/Corrupted Icons

Question
QUESTION: Hi Chris,

I've been having issues with icons not displaying, and I hope you can help me out :)

I searched online for solutions and here are the ones I've tried:

1) Changing the display settings from 32 bit to 16 bit to 32 bit icon to force my system to rebuild the iconcache

2) Using a back-up of the iconcache.db from my other pc.

3) Running cmd, typing in the commands to clear the cache, end explorer, delete the iconcache.db, followed by the reset. This last step was a major issue for me because I did not have the iconcache.db. Not matter what methods and solutions I tried my iconcache would not restore, and prior to any restoration attempts  the file didn't exist to start with. So then;

4) I tried system restore, but unfortunately even then that failed me.

5) I then followed this tutorial here: http://goo.gl/2kns5
Which was to download a .reg file that would restore all the icons after clicking on merge. That helped to create the iconcache.db file, but even after that the icons still didn't display.

Nothing has resolved the issue, and I'm not quire sure what to do. What would you suggest?

Thank you in advance - Al

Here is the requested info about my system.

*Windows 7 - 32 Bit

*Intermediate. I do learn commands fast and pick them up/understand them easily.

* On a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being least and 10 being most I would say about 8.

ANSWER: Thank you for your question, and I appologise for the time it took me to reply.

If you could, please send me a screenshot of what the icons currently look like.

If you need instructions on how to do so, feel free to ask!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Screen Cap 1
Screen Cap 1  

Screen Cap 2
Screen Cap 2  
QUESTION: Hi again Chris,

It's no trouble at all. Thank you for taking time to help me out.

So this is a screencap of what the icons look like:

It seems like it's mainly the Office files, but I'm not sure.

Answer
Ok.  Now I have a pretty good idea.  Here is where I would proceed from here as a next step.

1. Delete your iconcache.db file altogether.

2. Open up task manager, and kill "explorer.exe"

3. Create a new task "explorer.exe"

See if that fixed it for you.  If not, there are other steps we can try from there.

Windows 7

Chris