Windows 7/IE not working

I am the IT tech for a small company.  We have a strange issue.  One of our users has a Windows 7 PC.  Everything was functioning properly last week...possibly even Monday.  I have no idea what changed.  On Tuesday I was informed this user still has access to the server but no internet.

IE will open and says "waiting for"  Google is the home page.  If I input another URL, I get the same "waiting for" message.  I waited several minutes.  The page never displays.

The interesting part is that IE 11 does not load pages but Google Chrome functions correctly.  I deleted the history, temp files and cookies. I looked for security settings that may account for this but can not find anything to cause it.  I cleaned the registry and checked startup for a new program that might be blocking IE.  I even tried reinstalling IE.  I am stumped.  Do you have any ideas where I might look?

Hello Steve

Actually I am probably the worst person you could have asked on a question about the Internet Explorer, as I pretty much go out of my way with all of my client computers to NOT USE this, even though it must be installed (yes, with windows 7 you can actually uninstall it but it has repercussions for office programs if you do). But the reason is quite simply, IE sucks and has for many versions. It is slow, unsecure and just plain garbage, when there is the Chrome browser available, use that.. but, I digress.. there are still times when certain websites will appear broken if you use chrome (government and banking are good examples) as they are still stuck in the stone age, creating their websites with IE code and still not recognized with Chrome. So my solution here is to use the AVANT BROWSER which emulates the Internet Explorer exactly. That way, if you find a website that appears broken with Chrome, you can try it with the Avant Browser.  This is actually what I would suggest for you.. try installing the Avant Browser and check to see what happens.

Also, if you haven't already done the obvious malware/spyware scans.. I suggest visiting my website at and read the TIPS page on OPTIMIZING your computer. Then go to the SOFTWARE/SUPPORT page where you can download/install the programs from the PINK section which will help with the ongoing cleaning, removal and maintenance from the malware/spyware issues that cause the problems you are currently faced with.  CCLEANER is by far the best for performing the regular cleaning and removal of start menu issues. Malwarebytes works wonders for the malware and other tools like HIJACKTHIS can help with the BHO issues that may have caused issues with the Internet Explorer host files.

I hope this helps,

Mike Dacre

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.