Windows 7/Installation errors after automatic downloading of an update IE11 for Windows 7 x64. Won't install.

Question
QUESTION: Thank you for accepting my question. I have Windows 7 x64 set to automatically perform updates. A week or so ago a single update message appeared when I went to shutdown my computer, but it wouldn't finish. After checking updates I could see that the update was downloaded, but it will not install. I've tried several of the microsoft troubleshooting fixes, but keep coming up with one of 2 error messages when trying to install this update. First error code was 9C47. Second is 80070002. They don't show up together. It's either one or the other. Every time I shutdown my computer, the update tries to install, but always fails. I have tried to install the update manually with the same results. I ran an advanced check of my Windows updates to try to fix the problems. It did note that it fixed some problems, but not all. It shows, Problems installing recent updates as Not Fixed. Check for missing or corrupt files:Output: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. Detection details: Error Report: RootCause:RC-DataStore Error Code: 0x80070057
I also noticed when checking back through the installed updates that it appears IE9 update didn't install either about 2 years ago. Although, it never caused any of these types of problems.
I have no other issues with the computer. I would appreciate your guidance how to fix these problems. Thank You.
Bob

ANSWER: hi there

It sounds like you have some corruption, if you have a hard drive (not SSD) try a chkdsk /f from a command prompt and select yes to check on the next reboot, reboot the machine and try the fix its again.

If this fails the you might have to reset the whole update agent, which is a hassle, let me know if you want to do this.

regards

scott

QUESTION: Scott,
Thank you for replying to my question. I have an update and a question. Per the instructions of the system manufacturer, ASUS, I ran a System Restore to a date about a month before the problem with the update that will not install occured. The thinking being I guess that if I restore to a point before bad things started happening if files somehow got corrupted from the update itself, or for some other reason, the Restore would take the system back to before that and everything would be fine. It almost worked. Of course I had many Windows updates waiting in the queue to be downloaded and installed. I chose to download and install them individually so I could tell if one of them might be the culprit. Most installed easily. The last few I had to Retry to get them to install but they did. Then I got to the IE11 update again. It did the same thing;downloaded, but would not install even after several Retries. I turned off Automatic Updates just so the system wouldn't try to install it each time I shut my computer off.
I get the same error codes as before. I need to understand your recommendation better before I try it. Do I click Start then type chkdsk/f in the search programs and files box? Then will whatever shows up when I click Enter have a prompt asking me to click Yes to check on the next reboot? To understand further, which fix its would I run after the chkdsk runs and where do I go to find them?
Thank you for your assistance.
Bob

ANSWER: HI Bob

Well system restore can be a cruel mistress, it keeps a back up of the system settings,in other words mainly the registry.  If you have downloaded files and they are corrupt they will likely still be there in a corrupt state.  But the fact everything else went fine and then it fell over again does point to file corruption again.

There are several types of file corruption:

1) The contents of a file, where it can be simply blank or full of gibberish but shows as normal size and version number etc.  These can be very hard to fix because windows might not see them as an issue  ,because they look normal, only a program that scanned the contents against a known good version would pick this up. even a hashed file can pass the hash check.

2) The ntfs ACL is corrupt, this is where chkdsk /f comes in, the hard drive keeps a master copy of file permissions (ACL),It will check any files/folders for missing/corrupt ACLs and repair them.  You can get it to keep a record of what it does but there is little point, it will just say it has fixed some security descriptors, it is a pretty standard tool which I have used thousands of times. You start it by typing CMD at the run window and in the CMD window just type "chkdsk" first and hit enter, if it runs and then you see a message saying "chkdsk/f required",then I would just do it,  we do need to rule this out before we go further.

Regards

scott  

QUESTION: Scott,
I ran the chkdsk. It showed no corrupt files at all. The volume is clean it states. I ran chkdsk/f anyway, but as far as I know it also detected and fixed nothing. I tried installing the IE11 update again and got the same result. 9C47 error, failed installation.
Do you have any other ideas? Could the update itself be corrupt? Is there a way to delete the uninstalled update and try to download the IE11 update from a reputable source manually?
Thank you for any help you can give.
Bob

Answer
hi Bob

it was just a precaution to run chkdsk /f and it doesn't do any harm to run it every now and then any way.

have you tried the readiness tool:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

download and run this, it takes a while but just leave it run.

windows updates that are pending install are usually kept in:

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install

delete what is in there.

also windows update does keep a log:

C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log  

can you send this log to me?

you could of course just down load ie11 from windows web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=40901

try the above and let me know

regards

Scott

Windows 7

scott bartholomew