Windows 7/Restoring disk image after format

I have a question on after-formatting the computer. I use Windows 7 64 bit OS. Because of some hardware issues, in the past I needed to format my computer for a lot of times. The real problem comes during installing all software and applications again and again. It is very time consuming. I heard that there are some programs which can create some 'map' or 'image' of all the installed programs and when I reformat my computer, I simply use that image. In nutshell, what I am looking  is: when I want to format my 'C' partition, I will use one of such software and will enter into boot environment of the software and then I will select image of the partition to restore. And so I will get Windows and all programs installed on the system. A catch here is new system should become bootable and the software should not just copy data from image to newly formatted 'C' drive.

I am not a computer geek. So, can you suggest me what are these programs? I really need some advise on this. Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi Andrew!

There are many software packages that can do this, including Windows.

In Windows 7, go to Start and type 'backup' in the Search box of the Start Menu to get started.

Other software you could consider (not free):

One other that is not listed above but is free:

Feel free to contact me with any other questions.

Good luck!

Windows 7

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer nearly all questions about Windows 7 - installation, upgrade, virtualization (XP Mode and beyond), configuration, how to get the most out of it, how to buy it, etc. I won't pretend to know it all - nobody can - if I don't know, I will try and find the answer. If I can't find it, I'll tell you.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I have been using Windows 7 since the early Beta days.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).