Windows 7/Cach memory

Question
In Task Manager in win7 under the Performance Tab all the way at the bottom of the screen it tells me how much memory I have installed and Free memory and so on.

It also has Cached Memory and I see that when I restart the system this number goes down.

Right now it says 2622 MB but when I restart the system it goes down but it still is not under 1,000 MB why?

I know that when you start a program it goets loaded to Cach Memory then goes to System Memory.

But when you are not useing this program anymore sould it not go down and emtpy the Cach?

Answer
Hi Bob!  

"when you are not using this program anymore should it not go down and emtpy the cache"

Not necessarily.  Have you ever noticed that a program opens faster the second time it is opened?  Windows only removes items from the cache (page file) when necessary.  In addition to that, Windows uses it to store parts of programs that you access often, to reduce the time it takes to do your most common tasks.  Regardless of how much memory you have or use, Windows will always utilize the page file.

I have 16GB of RAM on my system, 11GB is being used, and 4800GB is currently cached.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you might have.

Good luck!

Windows 7

PowerEdge Tech