Windows 7/windows 8

I have a Window 8 laptop and I have been unable to start up windows because the password I have been putting in has been rejected and a message came up to change my password even though I have been using this p/word for some time sucesfully.
When I click on change password I am told that I must use an USB
when I do so and I am told the files are on that disk drive. I presume that I should have made a disk and then transferred the file to that USB.  Can you help me by telling me me how to make a disk, or how else I can reset md password,  Any help will be greaatly appricated.
Regards and thanks Jack Moroni

Hello Jack

You failed to mention whether or not you are using the microsoft account password or a local account password, therefore I will direct you in two places..

The first is in the case of a local account password, there is a hack that can fix this since you didn't create the backup. Take a look at the following website:

From the words of Microsoft themselves, if you have used the microsoft account or not, here is what they have to say:

I do hope you can get in without the need to reinstall windows but if you do, thankfully it is done much faster with windows 8.

Sincerest regards

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.