Windows 7/Windows 7 update fail

Question
Hi Mike,

I'm running the following PC system:

MSI P43-C51 motherboard with fully updated BIOS.
Core 2 Quad Q8400
2 GB DDR3 RAM - 1333 MHz (normally I run 4 GB though I temp removed 1 stick for troubleshooting).
nVidia GeForce 560ti
Ocz 128 Gig solid state drive

This was a Windows XP machine - I upgraded from Core 2 Duo to Core 2 Quad and installed the new SSD - then installed Windows 7 on the SSD.

W7 seems to install fine.  I then go to install all the Windows Updates - it downloads a bunch of them (70-100), then starts to shut down.

At the shut down sequence, I get the screen that says "Installing Update 1 of 3".  It then shows a percentage.. 10, 12, 15%, etc.  It gets up to 30% then suddenly shuts down and restarts.  Tries to load back into Windows 7, gets to the pretty Windows logo screen, and then immediately afterwards the monitor loses signal.

I have tried lots of different things, like System Update Readiness Tool ("Hotfix for Windows KB947821"), sfc /scannow.. being sure to install all motherboard drivers first, etc.

I tried Microsoft Fix It, though when I tried to run it, I get an error message saying Troubleshooting Services BootStrapp has stopped working.  In the details, it says the "Problem Event Name" is CLR20r3.

This is really rough, been banging my head over this for many, many hours.  Not quite ready to suspect the new (actually, refurbished......) Core 2 Quad CPU nor the brand new SSD.  Everything else in my system was working fine under XP.

Any tips / clues / ideas you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Eric

Answer
Hello Eric

Sounds like a driver issue.. most likely the display driver but also could be the HDMI audio driver if your mboard has HDMI. What you will want to do is go in to safe mode (press F8 when starting until you get the boot menu and choose safe mode) then check the display driver for starters. It is possible during the windows updates, that this didn't install properly. Try removing the display driver for starters, from the device manager (start menu and type device manager to get to it).. select the display driver and then remove it.  If you also see hdmi audio you might want to select it and then DISABLE it while you are at it.. then restart normally and see what happens.

Hope this helps

Sincerely

Mike Dacre
http://tpsconsulting.com
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre