Windows 7/Computer Problem

Question
Hi, I need to do a system restore on my computer but to an earlier time than the current preset system restore?
The computer is giving a system restore period of yesterday when some changes were made but I need to go back further than that but I cannot see an option of changing the date. What should I do?

Additional Details
The problem is that when I logged in yesterday, all the icons on the desktop had become word icons, in that they are all opening in word and giving an error because they are not word documents. I have run a virus check using Kaspersky but there seems to be no problem. Even the Mozilla Firefox icon is now a word document. What can I do? I really need some help.

My computer is running on Windows 7 operating system.

Answer
Hi Willie!

System Restore only stores so many Restore Points.  To see "all" of the Restore Points that it has saved, just below and to the left of the list of Restore Points may be a checkbox to show more/all.  If that checkbox is not there (or is already checked), then it has no more Restore Points saved (the older ones are overwritten by newer ones).  Windows decides how many Restore Points to keep based on a percentage of disk space used for that purpose.  The smaller the drive, the fewer the Restore Points.  You can change this percentage, but by default, it is something like 3-5%, and the bigger the percentage, the more of your disk space will be used by System Restore.

Feel free to contact me with any follow up questions.

Good luck!

Windows 7

PowerEdge Tech