Windows 7/Save As in Windows 7

Question
QUESTION: I have something going on in Windows 7 that I can not figure out. At least I think it is a Windows 7 issue.

When I want to know where a file is located I commonly use the Save As command from within a user program to raise the folder. Anyway, when I do this with the Foxit Reader, instead of taking me to the folder (or library) the file is in, I get taken somewhere else. This never happened with the Foxit Reader and Windows XP.

I eventually found the file by going to my user folder and then doing a search within my user folder. Otherwise the file is just sort of mysteriously nowhere.

The problem I have is that I can not figure out what is going on. Does Windows 7 normally have this mystery thing were they hide file locations on the user?

John

ANSWER: Hello John

First off I'm not quite sure when you say you are using the save as to see where the files are. IF you are referring to a shortcut icon and you right click on it, you can choose PROPERTIES and then from there you will have the option to view file/folder location by choosing the view folder location.  If you are looking for something you can simply click on the start menu and start typing what it is you are looking for. This can be a file or a program, and windows will start searching and the results will appear at the top of the start menu.  Once you have found what you want, you can RIGHT CLICK on it and choose the view folder location and it will take you there.

As for foxit reader, it has most likely changed a number of program defaults so that it can be the go to program for all pdf files. Personally I would be first uninstalling this program and then RIGHT CLICK on your chrome icon.. that is, if you have google chrome installed (and if you don't you should since it is the safest and fastest web browser out there). By right clicking on the chrome icon you can then copy (ctrl-c) as this will be copying the location of the chrome.exe file.  Then go to any pdf file you have and right click on it and choose OPEN WITH and then choose BROWSE and then paste (ctrl-v) the file location you had just copied. It will then have chrome as the chosen file and you can then click OK and from now on all pdf files will open in chrome.

If you still wish to use foxit then you should be going to the options of the program and choosing the default programs this will use. Note, if you have left foxit installed and have performed the chrome as the new default, you can leave things as is and simply open a pdf occasionally through foxit if necessary by right clicking on the pdf and choose open with (but do not change the default).. either that or open foxit first and then go to file/open from within that program, to open the pdf file.

I believe getting to know the file explorer (the library button which normally defaults on your quick launch task bar) will help you with understanding how to find things but for me, I choose the even simpler route by clicking on the start menu and simply start typing. Windows 7 and 8 are great for this.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely

Mike Dacre
http://tpsconsulting.com
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

QUESTION: Apparently I was not clear the first time. If it happened that I was looking at a file with a user program running under Windows XP, and I had forgotten where the file was located, I would find it by pretending I was going to save the file under another name. You know, click the "save as" button, observe were the file was located, and then cancel the operation. Apparently that is not a reliable method under Windows 7.

Following your advice, or a version of it, I go to the (quick start?) icon thing that launched the program, which is pinned to the task bar, right click that, right click the file name, and that produces the file folder under properties. I am still unable to find where the file I am looking at is located in the Foxit Reader program itself.

I went from Firefox to Chrome as a browser maybe a week or two ago. On a use level, I have come to like it over firefox. If I want to save a pdf file I am looking at under Chrome, I right click the display and use the Save As function. At least I know where it goes, even if I am not always clear as to where it came from.

I stay with the Foxit pdf reader because I like it. I am not sure how it happened, but it is the default pdf reader on my computer.

I have a mild dislike for the Libraries thing that Windows 7 uses, but there are a lot of other things I like about it over Windows XP, and I am glad I switched.

I used Office 7 for a while and eventually decided it was a step back from Office 2002 If you are interested in productivity, 7 is feature laden beyond utility.

Thanks for the help,

John

Answer
Hello again John

Actually what you are wanting to know will always change, because windows will always use the last place you saved a file as the first place that pops up when you click SAVE so using your method of finding out where you last saved a file is pointless.

The reason windows (from the very beginning, before XP) has 'my documents' is so that this is where you should be saving your files. Again, if you are unclear as to WHERE some file is, so long as you know the file name or part of it at least, you can simply go and click on the start button and start typing in the file name..  so for example, if you are looking for the file name "computer tips" then you would click on the start button and start typing computer tips.. as you start to type, windows already starts searching for c-o-m-p-u-t-.. etc. and if you do type the entire file name, it will most likely be in the list of results.. at that point RIGHT CLICK on the file and choose "Open file location" and it will take you there.

As for comparing certain features of Windows 7 to XP is silly.. stop looking back and only forward, once you have found all the great ways windows 7 works you will be more than happy you switched. Also note, if there were certain things you liked about windows xp, more than likely you can adjust your settings to look and act just like it in windows 7. However before you do that you should be very literate with the new way. As you mentioned you didn't like the library in windows 7.. and that would be because you are unfamiliar with it.. knowing how to make the most out of it will mean you would love it.. and in time, if you do get to understand how it works and more importantly, how YOU can use it to your advantage, then you will see why it is a good thing instead of wondering why you made the switch in the first place.

Sincerely

Mike Dacre
http://tpsconsulting.com
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre