Windows 7/desktop icons

My Uncle recently put a music file on his desktop and he said it changed all of his icons to multi media.  How can he rectify it?  I've done a lot of digging but all I keep getting is a bunch of people telling how they go into their registry.  I told him to try a system restore, but no go.  Thank you

Hi Amanda,
It sounds like the default program that is used to play audio files has been changed.

You can change the default media player by opening the one you wish to use and go into its settings menu.  Their should be an option to make that program you default

You can change it to what ever you like by clicking start then Default Programs then select Set program access and computer defaults.  Expand the Custom options if needed by clicking on the arrows pointing downward by clicking on them.  Scroll down to Default Media Player.  Every media player that is installed on you computer will be listed simply select the one you want to use.  Then click Ok and close all open Windows.

Please feel free to ask a follow if you need further assistance

Windows 7

I can answer questions on a wide variety of issues including pertaining to installation, configuration, trouble shooting and, malware removal.

I have eighteen years experience working with Windows based PCs

I have an associated degree in computer programming and network engineering.