Windows 7/Windows 7 no Internet connection

Hello Mike

I have a lap top, (used by my son for some time).

I think I accidently deleted something in the Control panel. Now the laptop does not connect via cable or WiFi to the Internet...

I am really not sure where to start to unpick this.

Could you point me in the right direction, with a few starting points to check for?

Thank you

Hello Roger

It sounds like you may have removed the network devices from the computer. What you need to do is click on the start menu and type DEVICE MANAGER this will bring you the search result and you can then click on the device manager.

Once there, click on the + sign next to the network adapters. There should be one, if not two if you also have wireless networking. If you see any yellow exclamation point next to either then double click and choose uninstall from the uninstall icon at the top toolbar. Once you have done this to any and all with exclamation points, restart your computer. Windows should now re-detect the devices and repair the problem.  If you do not see any network devices, click on the REFRESH icon in the toolbar to see if it finds them. In the case it doesn't and you do not have these in the list then you are going to most likely have to reinstall by first learning what devices are missing.. go and download a free program called sisoft sandra from this link:

this will scan and tell you what network devices you have on board and can then go to the company website to download the latest drivers for it.

Hope this helps.

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.