Windows 7/ntfs

I have win7 and use NTFS on it.

Now I got a 500 GB external Hard Drive just for backingup vidos and music and graphics.

I format it as NTFS as well but I made the cluster size 64kB.

I did this because years ago someone told me I Sould Have Big Cluster Size If You Just Are Backingup Things Videos Music Graphics.

Now I know the bigest Cluster with NTFS is 4kB so by me setting it to 64kB am I loosing Disk Space?

Remember I am useing the Disk just to store videos music graphics that are very big.

Hello Bob

To answer quite simply "yes" you have done everything right. 64K cluster is correct. No you are not losing disk space as this is the 'cluster' size, nothing to do with how much disk space.  

You will gain the most disk space by using the NTFS system as it recognizes drives of 500GB or higher whereas FAT or even FAT32 you would have some issues with.

You can learn more about NTFS file system from this link should you wish:

All is well.. enjoy your new external hard drive!

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.