Windows 7/Windows 7 won't shut down

In the past few weeks, I can't turn Windows off without hitting the off button on the computer.  It hangs on "Windows shutting down".  I tried setting it back to a previous configuration.  I took it to Staples for a diagnosis and clean-up -- didn't do a thing.  Another thing it does is tell me that firefox is still running, even though I can't find firefox.  I've removed and reloaded firefox but it didn't help.  Any ideas?

Hello Don

You are going to want to check the device manager for any device that may have an exclamation point next to it, and/or simply updating a few key drivers like your display driver could help.

Also, the fact that you did notice firefox is still running error, this is usually a sign that some other plug in component such as flash is causing the program to not close correctly.

I suggest visiting my website at and read the TIPS page on OPTIIZING your computer. Then go to the SOFTWARE/SUPPORT page where I suggest installing all the programs from the PINK section as they will help with the ongoing cleaning/removal and maintenance from the malware/spyware issues that could be causing you problems.  CCLEANER is by far the best program to use, especially if you go in to the tools and start up where you can disable and/or delete specific programs that are running on windows start up that can also be causing problems with shut down.

With all the malware out there, most of it, when infected on your computer, is going to try to keep your system online all the time, so that it can utilize your internet to further infect other computers therefore the anti-malware programs like malwarebytes and spywareblaster can also help.

As for the device manager, get to it by clicking on the start menu and type 'device manager' from the search. Then click on device manager from the search results.  If you do see any yellow exclamation points, click on that device and select REMOVE from the toolbar menu. Then once you have removed all devices with exclamation points (if any), restart your computer normally and allow windows to reinstall the devices. Be sure you have done a windows update, not just for critical items but other software and drivers as well.

Hope this helps.

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.