Windows 7/General computer question...

Mr. Dacre,
I've got a chance to get a Dell PowerEdge 840 pretty reasonable.  It's coming with the hard drives (3 of them) completely wiped, and in a RAID 5 setup.
I know that's primarily a small-business server computer...but if I got it and installed Windows 7 on it, would it work as a regular desktop computer?  
Any suggestions, info you can give are greatly appreciated.
Warm regards,

Hello David

If you are completely starting from scratch then yes, you should be fine. Since upon initial setup windows will detect the hardware and install the various drivers according to what you have. A few things you are going to want to be aware of is in fact what type of processor you have.  It will most likely be 64 bit but it also could be Itanium (  in which case when installing various updates you will want to choose the IA64 and not just the x64.

Also, with regards to the raid configuration--you won't want that as it is old school. Since windows will not install initially through a raid setup, you will want to set one drive as the Master (drive c) where the operating system is located and simply use the others as your data drives.

I might also suggest visiting my website at and read the TIPS page on OPTIMIZING your computer. Then go to the SOFTWARE/SUPPORT page where I suggest installing all the items from the PINK section to help with the ongoing maintenance, removal and cleaning of malware/spyware that causes so many problems and slowdowns.

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.