Windows 7/Win 7 Windows Explorer Fails on Right-Click

Dear Dave,
I have a fairly consistent problem with Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer). I click on Start, then Windows Explorer in my Start Menu or on the Taskbar. When Windows Explorer opens, I right-click on the drive, folder or file I want and click on Properties. I then get a message that says "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working", followed by "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution available." There is only one button with this message that says "Close Problem". Sometimes the failure occurs as soon as I right click.

I have never been notified of any available solution and the problem is a real nuisance. I've run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and the Registry parts, to no avail. I have also run scans with both AVG and with SuperAntiSpyware, again to no avail. Please note that CCleaner, AVG and SuperAntiSpyware are all current with all the latest updates.

I've searched the Internet for help and Iíve read a lot of it. Most times somebody wants to sell me something or just keeps flipping me from website to website. Itís too confusing and I've learned nothing.

AllExperts has always been great in the past. Any light you could shine on this problem would be most appreciated. Is there any way I could reinstall, repair, or refresh Windows Explorer? Is there a work-around?

Thank you.

Bob Kunz

Hello Bob (it's Mike here, not Dave)

There are a few things you mentioned which I would be removing.. that being AVG and all other anti-malware/registry scanning software EXCEPT for CCLEANER.

Please visit my website at and read the TIPS page on OPTIMIZING your computer. Then go to the SOFTWARE/SUPPORT page and install all the items from the PINK section as they will help with the ongoing cleaning,removal and maintenance from the malware/spyware that causes so many problems, slowdowns and what you are currently faced with. Between Malwarebytes and CCLEANER you should be in business.

There is also a good chance that your issues are due to windows system files needing to be repaired as well. To do this safely you should first confirm there is a problem by using the SFC feature within windows. Learn more from this link:

Using AVAST as your antivirus is best for many reasons, it is FREE and no, you do not want to sign up for the PRO version. In fact when you install AVAST, choose CUSTOM and then de-select everything from the middle column as you do not want any of these. That goes for all anti-malware scanner software as well. You want to use it as a tool that you start and scan and then quit. You do not want the program to continue to monitor and slow down your computer in the process.

I hope this helps.

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.