Windows 7/Accessing BIOS

Is there a sure fire way of accessing BIOS on W7.
I have an ASUS Motherboard. The User Manual indicates to press DEL at startup. I tried that several times and it does not work. I also tried the ESC and F2 keys with similar results.
Any advice would be helpful.

Hello Nicholas

Actually if your manual says it is DEL then that is what it is. A few things to note. When you first turn on the power you are going to want to start pressing the DEL key right away and you can't just press and hold it.. you need to press it repeatedly until you get to the bios menu.  Here's the next tip.. you need to have a keyboard that is plugged in to the computer, not using wirelessly and that means even if your wireless uses a usb dongle that is plugged in as the usb devices are not detected on start up until you set up your bios correctly and even then typically to invoke the bios you need to have a keyboard that is plugged directly in to the computer. So long as the keyboard has a cable from the keyboard in to either a usb connection or the PS/2 connection you should be good.

Basically if you start the computer and start pressing the DEL key and then see the windows flag, you missed it and should just press (and hold) the power until it shuts off. Then try again.  You should first see the ASUS logo and you should already start pressing the DEL key.

My guess is your keyboard is the problem.

Hope this helps

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.