Windows 7/Replacing C Drive in W7

QUESTION: Power Edge Help:
This is a "PS" to a prior note.
I plan to replace my 80GB C Drive with a 500GB drive. I also have a 500GB backup drive installed on a desktop.
Following are modified steps, which were picked up from the internet. Would you confirm that for my needs, the steps appear to be correct.

Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit installed on an 80GB Internal Western Digital Hard EIDE drive
3GB of Memory  Internal 500 GB “E” drive used as the backup destination
A new unopened 500GB Western Digital SATA drive to be used as the replacement for the original and smaller 80GB EIDE “C” drive currently installed.

1) Create a System Image backup to Drive E, Partition K, using “EaseUS TODO Backup Free 7.5, Clone Option” .

2) Shutdown the computer and remove the C hard drive power and EIDE connectors from the original Windows 7 “C”  hard drive.

3) Connect the power and SATA connector to the new 500GB hard drive.

4) Boot from the ‘System Repair’ disc.

5) Verify the keyboard input method and click ‘Next’.

6) Select the ‘Restore your computer using a system image that you created’ option located in the lower left and click ‘Next’.

7) A scan for system images that are on your E Drive will begin. At completion of the scan you will have the option to ‘Use the latest available system image’ or ‘Select a system image’. Choose the recommended option and use the latest available system image and click ‘Next’.

8) Choose additional restore options: Note: The ‘Format and repartition disks’ option will be check marked but disabled/grayed out. Click ‘Next’.

9) The ‘Your computer will be restored from the following system image:’ information will be displayed. Click ‘Finish’.

10) Re-image Your Computer prompt. You will now see a pop up with the following message: All data to be restored will be formatted and replaced with the layout and data in the system image. Are you sure you want to continue? Click ‘Yes’.
11) Windows will now start restoring the image to the new 500GB hard drive….the new “C”.

12) At the completion of the image restoration your computer will reboot, sit back and wait for Windows to start and then logon as you normally do, then remove the System Repair disc.

13) You may be prompted to restart the computer to apply changes. Restart the computer.

ANSWER: Sorry ... I didn't see this before I responded to your first one. This is MUCH clearer.

So, you have only saved the image to your secondary drive, and EaseUS has created a second partition on your second drive ... right?

First, the Windows DVD cannot restore using an EaseUS image. You would need to restore an EaseUS image using the EaseUS software. You can use the built-in Windows backup in this manner, but not third-party backup utilities.

I would do one of the following:

1. Create a Windows 7 backup image, stored on the E: drive, replace 80GB disk with larger disk, boot to the Windows DVD, restore from image found on the second disk.

2. Replace existing 500GB disk with new/empty 500GB disk, use EaseUS DISK COPY (different from the utility you used) to copy the ENTIRE DISK (not the partition) to the secondary disk. Remove the 80GB disk, the new 500GB disk to its spot, put old 500GB disk back in ... new Windows should boot automatically, then you will need to extend the C: partition to fill the rest of the disk space.

I can provide step by step, but I would like to know how you'd like to proceed.

QUESTION: Power Edge Expert:
I would like to proceed with Option 1 of your suggestions.
The steps appear to be similar to those outlined in my documented steps above, with the exception that the backup image is created by W7 rather than EaseUS TODO.

However, if you would like to expand further on Option 1, that would be great and much appreciated.

You can use a "system repair disc" IF you create one,  but you can just use a regular Windows 7 installation DVD, choose the Repair Your Computer option (instead of Install Now), then use the restore image option.

5. This (and/or language selection) is not always presented as an option. It depends on the media used, so don't panic if you don't see it.

Otherwise, the steps should get you through.

Good luck!

Windows 7

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer nearly all questions about Windows 7 - installation, upgrade, virtualization (XP Mode and beyond), configuration, how to get the most out of it, how to buy it, etc. I won't pretend to know it all - nobody can - if I don't know, I will try and find the answer. If I can't find it, I'll tell you.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I have been using Windows 7 since the early Beta days.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).