Windows 7/Laptop screen turning purple and black

Hi I have a HP Envy 15 laptop with Windows 7.  2 days ago
After restarting the computer the screen turned
Purple when it got to the sign in screen.  I shut
The computer down and the problem went away.
Then today once I opened the laptop, the sign in
Screen was black and only showed the space to
Put the password in to sign into windows.  It
Seems to be an intermittent problem but I was
Wondering what could be causing this type of
Problem and if there's anything I can do to fix it?
Any advice is appreciated.  Thank you.

Hello Meg

Every Tuesday Microsoft releases a number of security updates for Windows, known as Patch Tuesday. This week had 28 critical and 5 recommended which may have included specific display drivers for your device. This may also have been why things are causing you troubles now as the system may not be completely up to date.

I suggest making sure you do have all the windows updates including recommended by going to start menu/all programs/windows update

Then go to the Support/drivers website and make sure you have all available updates including possible BIOS Update for your computer. When you are at the HP.COM website you can use the hp software updater and it will install/check automatically for you.  

other then that, since it does appear to be driver related to the display, you may also be dealing with a hardware issue such as a pinched video cable to the monitor since you mentioned the colors are intermittent as well.  Best however, if you first make sure all drivers are up to date.

you can then check to make sure you haven't installed some malware/spyware that is now causing issues on start up. For this I suggest visiting my website at and read the TIPS page on OPTIMIZING your computer. Then go to the SOFTWARE/SUPPORT page where I suggest installing all the items in the pink section as they will help with the cleaning/removal and ongoing maintenance from spyware/malware and items that cause your computer to slow down.  CCLEANER and Malwarebytes are by far the most recommended tools. You can also learn how to use CCLEANER and all the tools by visiting this website:

I hope this helps

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.