Windows 7/what is difference in CD(DVD)types

Question
Hello Richard. I'm trying to figure out what would be best to use as a back-up disk in my laptops, but I don't know what the differences are. Please tell me the significant differences in these:
1.CDR, CD+R,CD-R, CDRW
2.DVD, DVDR, DVD+R,  DVD-R,DVDRW
3.Any other baffling letters I may encounter following CD or DVD in the stacks of them I see at Walmart. I was told that RW meant you could leave it in the disk drive and it would record(write)over itself at each back-up. Is that true?
Thank you very much,
JB

Answer
In a nutshell, R means you can write to the disc once. W means you can ReWrite to the disc. If you just want to burn a backup disc and put it on the shelf, then any disc is fine. If you care about rewriting over old discs to reuse them, then you'd need an RW.

I'd recommend, however, picking up an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE to perform your backups. They're much more reliable. There are also several ONLINE backup solutions available as well, like CrashPlan.

Windows 7

Richard Rost