Windows 7/Getting Windows 7.

Question
QUESTION: Where can I get a Windows 7 Professional disc? Bestbuy only does Windows 8 stuff now. I've had two brand new PCs that came with Windows 8 and even upgraded to 8.1 and there have been nothing but blue screens, freezing, random log offs and restarts let alone that many of my  programs don't run on it. I have concluded that dual interface aside Windows 8 isn't ready for general use. Certainly not mine. I really need to install Windows 7 on this computer instead or else I've thrown away $700 on a system that I can't do basic word processing on without the OS shutting itself down. Online I've only found Win7 OEM copies of it which I assume are designed for very particular models  of computer and won't work on any computer I choose to install it on? Where can I find a copy that is going to work on any PC?

ANSWER: You can try looking on eBay or Craigslist for a used copy.

QUESTION: What are the limits to an OEM version since it seems to be all that is out there? Should it run on any desktop computer even if it was say designed for a different brand of pc? What trouble could I likely face?

Answer
OEM is an Original Equipment Manufacturer copy. They're supposed to ONLY be sold with a new computer, but you find less-than-honest dealers who sell them outright. It should still work with your PC, but technically you're not supposed to use it (and I can't legally recommend you buy it). It will be mostly the same version of Windows that you'd get if you bought a retail copy, but there may be "extras" that the OEM bundles. For example, Dell and Toshiba have their own customized logos and software they bundle.

Windows 7

Richard Rost