Windows 7/Hard disk (sorta) question..

I bought a used computer (Dell Optiplex 980) running Windows 7 to replace an older computer running Windows XP.
I found out that the version of Windows 7 on the computer was a bootleg version, so I bought a legitimate version (Windows 7 Ultimate) to install.
During installation, I found out that the hard disk had two partitions.  I would prefer to only have one...and I would like to wipe the disk clean before I try and install my new Windows 7.
My questions:  1.  How do I wipe the hard drive clean so I can install Windows 7 without any conflicts with older system files, etc.?  And 2. How do I delete the two separate partitions, and just create a single partition on my hard drive?  (I guess a single partition would work, right?)
Any suggestions, advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Warm regards,

Hi David,

You can boot from the Windows 7 CD and follow the on screen instructions. You should see a screen where you can select the two partitions and click on the delete button. Delete both partitions and then select the remaining partition and click Next to begin the Windows 7 installation. You may want to format the drive first by clicking on format button before clicking Next.

Windows 7

Kevin Hou

I`m familiar with Windows 95/98/2K/XP/7 problems and will try my best to assist you. Feel free to ask any software or hardware related questions.

I started using computers over 10 years ago and have grown to both love and hate it to say the least. I have studied computer programming and graduated with a bachelor's degree in computer science.

Bachelors in computer information science