Windows 7/Extending Windows 7 activation with slmgr -rearm

I have a volume license of Windows 7 Enterprise from school but error code from the automatic activation says that it's not contacting the KMS server back at school. I came across the command (slmgr -rearm) that would extend the time long enough til I return to the school and resolve it with the system administration. I've used the command and the resulting dialog box showed successful, then to reboot. After the reboot, using the command (slmgr -dlv) shows 30 days but the windows activation info on the windows basic information box still shows the original countdown of days. Do you have any advice or insight on this issue? Thank you.

Hi William!

The rearm command simply adds 30 days to the evaluation/trial period, and by design, it will show the countdown to the end of that trial.  It can be run only three times I believe to extend the evaluation period.  At some point, you will need to permanently activate Windows with a permanent key or with a KMS server within the specified time period for activation with that server.

Feel free to follow up with any additional questions.

Good luck!

Windows 7

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer nearly all questions about Windows 7 - installation, upgrade, virtualization (XP Mode and beyond), configuration, how to get the most out of it, how to buy it, etc. I won't pretend to know it all - nobody can - if I don't know, I will try and find the answer. If I can't find it, I'll tell you.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I have been using Windows 7 since the early Beta days.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).