Windows 7/Question about sorting subdirectories and files

Hello, a directory that I have consists of subdirectories and files. It used to be in alphabetical order with subdirectories on top and files below. Somehow it got all messed up and now its files and subdirectories in reverse alphabetical order. How do I get everything in a single column, in alphabetical order, starting with subdirectories followed by files?

Hello Wing

Quite simply, open the file explorer browser window and then click on the NAME column which will move the Carrot (the pointing arrow) to this column.  If it is pointing down then it will be in descending order and if you click on it again it will be in ascending order.  From the top tool bar menu you can also select VIEW and then change the view settings to DETAIL view so that you also  have the date, file size and type of file listed.
I hope this helps.

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.