Windows 7/Virtual memory setting

I installed an old version of Adobe photoshop elements on my old crappy laptop. I have used this program before on this computer but it crashed a year ago and has since been fixed. All we do on this computer is internet and basic photo editing, and we have a lot of photos stored on it.
I have windows 7 and 4gb of ram (3.6 gb useable)
I tried to open adobe photoshop elements 2.0 and it says it can't start because the virtual memory is too low. I looked up how to change the min and max amounts but I don't know what amounts to put in. I don't want to break this old thing again.

Thank you

Hello Mary

You shouldn't be changing anything and you should allow windows to adjust this.  My guess is you have too many other programs running on start up. Note that photoshop is a memory hog on its own.  Install CCLEANER and then from the tools check to see what you have running on start up. You can go and install ccleaner from my software/support page here:

You can go to the following website to learn how to use ccleaner correctly:

I hope this helps.

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting  

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.