Windows 7/Home group network

Hello Mike. I have 2 computers, both running windows 7. One is home p and the other (main) professional. I connected them through a home group.  The one with home p is fine and can see files etc on the pro one. But the pro one asks for a network username and password which has never been setup so I cannot view files on the home p computer. Hope you can help.

Hello Robert

I can't answer it any better than what Microsoft has done with their Homegroup help with tutorial which you can view from this link:

The main thing that I have found which typically seem to come undone is the home network (private) must be selected on any computer that is going to be sharing files. As well, from any computer that is NOT the homegroup server, by simply LEAVING the homegroup you should then see "a homegroup is available on  "xyz computer"" and then you can click to re-join it. You should be prompted for the homegroup password that you set up. Also note that initially the password will be some strange set of numbers/letters so once it has been created (on the homegroup server computer), choose CHANGE HOMEGROUP PASSWORD and make it something easy for you to remember. I typically use the client's last name (with a capital letter and "Home" at the end so if your name is Smith I would use SmithHome as it does have to be at least 7 characters long)

I hope this helps

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.