Windows 7/Upgrade

QUESTION: I am upgrading from xp to windows 7 pro. My windows xp has been getting sluggish ever since ms stopped supporting it. I can re-install xp from a partitioned drive to make it good as new. Should I do that before installing windows 7? I want to be sure i have a clean pc before the install.

ANSWER: Hi Jobe!

There is no upgrade path from XP to Windows 7 - it will require a "clean" install anyway, so there is no reason to do anything special with XP - it will just overwrite everything anyway.

If you put in the Windows 7 disk and install from within XP, it will store your XP files in a file called Windows.OLD, which can be deleted later to free up space.  The best way to proceed for a "clean" clean install, is to backup your important data, BOOT to the Windows 7 DVD, and delete all existing partitions before starting the installation.

Feel free to follow up with any additional questions you might have.

Good luck!

Thanks for your quick reply!

OK, I installed Windows 7 successfully but for some reason, two old back up files remained from XP. They were full system backups for the two times I re installed XP. They are quite large and I no longer need them but when I try to delete them I get an error that says "You require permission from administrators to make changes to this folder". This is a copy of Win 7 Professional on my home computer so as far as I know, I'm the administrator. Can you tell me how I can delete this folder?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!!!

Hi Jobe!

You will find that even you are and administrator on the PC, that there are many "protected" areas of Windows that even admins need special permissions to access.  The reason is that users generally do not need access to those areas (or functions).

You can delete them by "taking ownership", then deleting, but the easiest way is to run Disk Cleanup.  Open [My] Computer, right-click your C: drive, Properties, then click on the Disk Cleanup button.  One of the options should be to delete old Windows files.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Windows 7

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer nearly all questions about Windows 7 - installation, upgrade, virtualization (XP Mode and beyond), configuration, how to get the most out of it, how to buy it, etc. I won't pretend to know it all - nobody can - if I don't know, I will try and find the answer. If I can't find it, I'll tell you.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I have been using Windows 7 since the early Beta days.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).