Windows 7/windows upgrade

Thank you for taking the time to review my question,
I have an IBM thinkpad Z61M original was loaded with Windows XP and vista compatible, recently the hard drive crash, am installing a new hard drive and was wondering if i can upgrade to windows 7.
thank you for your help.

Hi AL!

IBM's website is down right now, so I can't see if they provide drivers for Windows 7 on this model.  If they do, then it should work just fine.  If not, then it still may work - you may just need to find your own drivers and troubleshoot any incompatibilities that arise.

There are public downloads of official Windows 7 media ... you could always try it and see if you are able to get everything working before committing to purchasing a Windows 7 license.

The links in the above webpage take you to, which is a Microsoft site for order fulfillment, so the media is legitimate Microsoft software, but you will need to procure your own license in order to activate it after the 30 day trial period.

Feel free to contact me with further questions.  

Good luck!

Windows 7

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer nearly all questions about Windows 7 - installation, upgrade, virtualization (XP Mode and beyond), configuration, how to get the most out of it, how to buy it, etc. I won't pretend to know it all - nobody can - if I don't know, I will try and find the answer. If I can't find it, I'll tell you.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I have been using Windows 7 since the early Beta days.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).