Windows 7/windows upgrade

Question
Thank you for taking the time to review my question,
I have an IBM thinkpad Z61M original was loaded with Windows XP and vista compatible, recently the hard drive crash, am installing a new hard drive and was wondering if i can upgrade to windows 7.
thank you for your help.
Sincerely
Al

Answer
Hi AL!

IBM's website is down right now, so I can't see if they provide drivers for Windows 7 on this model.  If they do, then it should work just fine.  If not, then it still may work - you may just need to find your own drivers and troubleshoot any incompatibilities that arise.

There are public downloads of official Windows 7 media ... you could always try it and see if you are able to get everything working before committing to purchasing a Windows 7 license.

http://heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-downlo

The links in the above webpage take you to digitalriver.com, which is a Microsoft site for order fulfillment, so the media is legitimate Microsoft software, but you will need to procure your own license in order to activate it after the 30 day trial period.

Feel free to contact me with further questions.  

Good luck!

Windows 7

PowerEdge Tech