Windows 7/network error

Error Message
Error Message  
QUESTION: Hello Mike. As per the attachment I am experiencing a problem accessing another computer on the network. There is no username or password for any of the computers in my home office as yet because I wanted to get this error cleared first. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Hello Robert

Are all the computers you are setting up to share using windows 7 or 8? If so then you will want to use the HOMEGROUP Sharing. The first thing that each computer will require is to be set to the "HOME" network (as opposed to Office or Public place).

You may want to read this link on first setting up the network to home if you are unsure of what I just said:

Follow this step by step instruction from microsoft help as this should get you going. One link is quite through and the other has video screen shots to help:

and this one for video/screen shots:

I hope this helps,

QUESTION: Hi Mike, thank you for your answer and help. I should have explained myself a little better. They are setup in Home Group and appear in the relevant places under the network section. But it is when I go to double click on the computer to access it in the network that I get the error message that I sent you. Can you elaborate on it any further at all? Thanks in advance.

Hello again

I believe your problem is you are clicking on NETWORK instead of HOMEGROUP.  You are not attempting to connect to the computers through the network if you have set up the homegroup. These are actually two different ways to connect. The homegroup being the easiest as it allows you to quickly and easily share folder/libraries such as document, pictures, music, video, etc, as well as printers.

When you click on the file explorer click on HOMEGROUP and there is where you should see all of the computers attached to the homegroup.  If you don't see any then from the computer you are on, go to the start menu and type HOMEGROUP and then choose the homegroup from the search results.  If it says you are currently connected then LEAVE the homegroup and upon leaving it, you should then see the prompt 'A HOMEGROUP IS AVAILABLE ON XYZ COMPUTER DO YOU WANT TO JOIN?" and doing so you should be prompted to enter the homegroup password.

I note this because it is common for the homegroup computers to become disconnected if one or more restart or are placed in to sleep mode. By leaving and re-joining the homegroup this should help.

If you are wanting to use the networking then that is an entirely different process.. one in which I suggest you first tackle the easier method which is the homegroup, since you seem to be having troubles with this..  I think you will find all you were doing wrong is clicking on NETWORK instead of HOMEGROUP.

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.