Windows 7/history of sites visited

I want to know how to check internet history on a win 7 professional OS.
I know the traditional way -
tool - internet options - settings - temp files
but, if someone is clearing them then there is nothing there, I also believe to understand that really doesn't "Clear" them - without running a keylogger, how can I view temp internet history?

Hi Nina!

If you delete history, the files are still there until overwritten, BUT not just any "undelete" program can read the DAT files the history is stored in. The person may also be browsing in a "private" mode, where none of that stuff is committed to the hard drive.

IEHV and ChromeHistoryView are two programs you can use to view those files without opening history in that account.

The best way to preserve the history is to prevent them from deleting it. This can be done via group/local policy (gpedit.msc - Pro/Ent/Ult versions) or via registry edit (regedit). This may not work if you use certain browsers not subject to group/local policies.

The only surefire way to capture history is to log activity outside of that computer - a proxy server or even on the router.

Feel free to post back with any other questions!

Good luck!

Windows 7

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer nearly all questions about Windows 7 - installation, upgrade, virtualization (XP Mode and beyond), configuration, how to get the most out of it, how to buy it, etc. I won't pretend to know it all - nobody can - if I don't know, I will try and find the answer. If I can't find it, I'll tell you.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I have been using Windows 7 since the early Beta days.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).