Windows 7/software issue

I run Windows Ultimate 32 bit on a Dell XPS 420 w 8 GB RAM and hate to go to a new OS as a number of old programs no longer worked when I switched to the Ultimate system.  However, the new  Turbo Tax will not load reflecting an error 0 due to a dot net framework issue.  All updates are installed, and I've tried uninstalling and reloading updates.  

I'm a retired analyst and long time computer user but not a tech, so maybe I'm dangerous to myself.  It seems though, that my choices include restoring my system to it's original state and reload all programs and tons of updates, which would likely still create the same condition currently preventing the Turbo software from loading or I could switch to a newere OS.  Don't really like what I've experienced on other's systems re the 8.1 and am concerned that older programs won't work.  Assume a clean install would be better than an update, because wouldn't I risk that the same framework issue would exist?  As a retiree, I'd give up a lot of projects from older programs for photo's and cards but I do taxes for a number of family members and myself, and I need a tax program to work.  Prefer to stay with the program used for years, but have looked at the HR Block which claims it can import the data from the other program.  That presents yet another question, as to whether or not it would also have issues with the dot net framework or would it work.  Any info to help me would be appreciated, as this expenditure has cost me a lot of hours with Turbo Tax support blaming Microsoft and Microsoft wanting more dollars than the program has already cost in order to assist to get the install.  This is ridiculous since Turbo Tax packaging says it works on Vista, not just some versions of Vista.

Hello JL

First of all you have windows "ultimate" which actually means it includes a working "virtual windows xp" as well so when you say it will not load due to .net issues this has nothing to do with the version of o/s you have.  

To use the Windows XP Mode with windows ultimate visit the microsoft support page here:

Now to get to the problem of the .net update that doesn't appear to be working...knowing it is when you attempt to install turbotax and doing a quick research on this, it appears they are aware of it and have the solutions for you to try at this website:

Note this site includes the various links to the direct download of .net framework to install as a standalone update instead of the windows updates which are automatic but only for those critical ones.

One thing to also note is you should DISABLE YOUR ANTIVIRUS until all is installed.  This includes any other security programs you may have running.

I hope this helps

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.