Windows 7/Windows Errors and Updates

QUESTION: Hello, I seem to be getting a lot of errors in Windows 7. I click on something within Windows like Firewall or to adjust the screen brightness and something pops up indicating that Windows can not find something or other. Or nothing pops up at all and I just just click futilely and nothing happens. Also I have not been getting any Windows Updates recently. I think the two problems might be related. I've run virus checks and nothing shows up. Searched a little about this and it seems either that programs are locked or certain values are missing in the registry. Don't really know what that means. Another site said something about "Windows Can Not Find" errors. Well, thanks for any help you could provide.

ANSWER: Hello Len

There are probably a number of malware/spyware issues that first need to be addressed. After this you should then be able to perform a windows update and get things back up and working.

For starters I suggest using CCLEANER as your go-to program for the cleaning and removal and/or disabling of things from start up that probably aren't required.  Next I suggest using Malwarebytes as your main malware scanning and removal program.  Along with that I suggest Spybot Search & Destroy as well as SpywareBlaster.  Note that Spywareblaster works in the background so all you will be doing once you have installed it, is keep the definitions up to date.

I suggest visiting my website at and reading the TIPS page on OPTIMIZING your computer. Then go to the SOFTWARE/SUPPORT page where you can install the programs I am referring to. They are in the pink section.

Once you have done this go and perform another windows update and if you get an error that it can not update, follow the microsoft problem solver which will lead you to the microsoft FIX that you will cick on and follow their information. This will automatically clean out the old update files and should fix the problems you are having.

With regards to antivirus. I am a firm believer in the free Avast antivirus as all the rest are far too intrusive and do too much, causing nothing but performance and security issues with many programs. If you do install Avast, choose CUSTOM option and then deselect the middle group of programs (tools) as you do not need these as they will only cause your system to slow down as well.  Even though Avast is free, they do provide you with various other 'tools' (which is what I suggest not installing) as some will work and others will tell you that you need to upgrade to the pro version (which you do not need to) as all that will do is once again, introduce additional security and scanning that is not required if you are using CCLEANER, Malwarebytes, etc.

I hope this helps

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

QUESTION: Okay, I did a scan with Malwarebytes, Avast, and Spybot and a few things were found but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. And for some reason I couldn't install CCLEANER. I was able to download it. I didn't have this issue with Malwarebytes or Spybot. The Windows Updates are still not downloading. It's like the program is locked or something. There are either corrupt files within Windows or locked programs. Any additional ideas? Thanks, Len

ANSWER: Hello again

Probably THE MOST important program to install when dealing with problems, will be CCLEANER therefore if you are having troubles installing it, that tells me there are certain malicious programs/viruses that are blocking the installation of this program. This is very common as these malware type programs obviously don't want to be tracked and removed so the serious ones have ways to prevent being removed easily, by programs like ccleaner.

I would be using AVAST in this case (your antivirus) and performing a boot time virus scan, making sure you have the option to DELETE anything it finds during the scan.

Once you have done this you should attempt to reinstall ccleaner.

If you still have troubles,then as you pointed out, you may have windows system file corruption in which case you may want to perform a 'repair install' of windows.  Depending on how your windows operating system was installed, (Ie: it came with it pre-installed without any disk or you do have the windows disk) then that will determine how to proceed.   

If Windows was pre-installed then you should have the option to perform a 'refresh' of your system from the manufacturer's restore program.  For example if you have an HP computer then there should be the HP restore program that will provide you with the option to perform a system refresh (not reset to factory as that will wipe out all of your data).  The refresh option will reinstall the windows system files over top of the old, repairing any file corruptions.

If you have a windows disk then you should use the microsoft help link here:

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

QUESTION: Okay, I was able to do a boot time scan and it was able to find an Error# 42127 which indicated that a CAB Archive was corrupted. Still can't install the CCleaner which is the same thing that happened with Skype a couple of months ago. Although I can install some things, just not those. I have an Acer Aspire One so I don't know how to do this system refresh or if this haunted system would even let me. Windows was pre-installed before I got it. Thanks for all your help.

Hello once again Len

I suggest at this point, to perform a factory reset but first be sure to back up all of your important data to an external usb drive. Here are the instructions:

Consider what data you still need from your Acer Aspire One's hard drive. Save the files to an external USB device.

Restart the Acer Aspire One's operating system. Wait for the Acer logo to appear on the LCD screen.

Press the "Alt-F10" keys at the same time to bring up the recovery menu. Press "Enter."

Click "Next." Follow the prompts that appear on the screen to restore the operating system back to factory settings.

Use the drop-down boxes to select the time zone and language information for your Acer Aspire One. Restart the netbook when you are prompted to finish restoring the computer.

Connect the external USB device to your Acer Aspire One and transfer the data you saved earlier back to the netbook.

I hope this solves all of your problems.

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.