Windows 7/Hard Drives

QUESTION: I have win7 and I have an Exturnale Hard Drive.

I know how I can stop people from accessing the Exturnale Hard Drive.

But this is what I want to do.

I have a ADMIN account and a Limited account.

I just want the Limited account not to have Accesses to my Exturnale Hard Drive.

Please help.

ANSWER: Thanks for your question!

In short, there are a few secure ways to do so, and there are easy ways to do so.

Before I assume things, could you tell me whether or not you want the data secured against everyone except the admin user, or would you simply like a simple way for the limited account to receive an error message when they attempt to access the data on the drive?

Thank you!

QUESTION: I have a use an ADIM account and I always save files and photos to my Exturnle Drive.

I only want people on the Limeted account to be able to save things to the C Drive not the Externale Drive.

And I do not want people on the Limeted account to be able to open and Delete Files from my Exturnle Drive.

Okay, I will explain a simple way to use the built-in permissions of Windows in order to limit the use on most external hard drives.

The first thing you're going to do is click on the Start Button, find "Computer" and open that up.

This is where it will list all storage or removable media on the machine.  From here, find your external hard drive, and right click on it.  Select "Properties".  Find the tab for "Security" and click that.  There, you will see "Group or user names:" followed by a list of all the users and groups (see my attached picture for a reference).  From there, you will click on "Users", then the "Edit" button.  You will then deny "Write" and "Modify" privileges, then hit "OK".

What this will do is allow users to see the files, but not change them, delete them, or change the security settings of them.

Let me know if this solves your issue.

Windows 7

I have familiarized myself with the windows environment since Windows 95. Windows 7 is one of the best operating systems i am familiar with, and am willing to help anybody with problems they may have. Be it hardware, software, or simply the Windows environment itself.

I have repaired computers most of my life. I am the site administrator of many websites for businesses including (but not limited to): (my site),, and more. I do local computer repair in my area and have a very satisfied clientele.

I am a Network Engineer at Southern Illinois Network Consultants and an EOD Technician for the U.S. Army.

I am currently a student at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. I am majoring in Criminal Justice with a second major in Computer Science.

Corporation Ambassador for Courtesy Corporation.

Valley Ranch and Cabins - Wisconsin