Windows 7/no icons or toolbar display

I have a H.P. computer model 500-281 with windows7. I have a two output monitor set up. One is  for the computer monitor and one is for my TV. When I turned my computer on one morning I had no icon or toolbar display on my computer monitor,but I still had it on my TV. I tried rebooting and restoring  back to the last day they were both working. Still no display. I finally discovered I could get my displays back when I unplugged the output to the TV. When I hooked it back up, no display. I checked the output cables and monitor all are ok. I tried reentering my settings for a two monitor setup still no display. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hello Nick

I believe the only thing you are going to need to do is choose which is your default monitor. (Primary display)

To change display settings

Open Display Settings by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, clicking Personalization, and then clicking Display Settings.

To designate the primary display, on the Monitor tab, click the icon that corresponds to the monitor that you want to designate as the primary display, and then select the This is my main monitor check box.

Select the screen resolution and color quality for each monitor that you're using.

Note you need to first click on the picture of the monitor to make changes for that monitor so if your TV is currently set as the primary, click on the other monitor and then select the checkbox for primary. This will then place the taskbar on to that monitor. As well, when you open something it will default to opening on the primary display.

I hope this helps.

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.