Windows 7/laptop freezes and restart till graphic recovered

Hello Lenny

I couldn't find the appropriate category.  Hope you can help.

I am using a Dell Inspiron laptop 14" windows 7 premium 64 bit edition and AMD 6630 display card.

Lately my laptop will start freezing with a distorted screen display followed by the blue screen and the laptop will restart. This keeps repeating until a notification at the bottom of the right-hand side of the screen saying "amd display driver has stop functioning and has recovered".

This happen frequently lately.

Please advise.  Thank you.

Hello Eddie,

From the looks of it, after a thorough investigation of your problem it seems that your computer's graphic card drivers are out of date. They require immediate attention and are great chaos because they are mentioned in the manufacturer's website HERE.

The particular driver component ATIKMDAG.sys is one that is need of immediate update as its corrupt. The machine requires a fresh copy of drivers to overwrite the current ones in the system. You will need to download the drivers from the link below then overwrite whatever is in the system. One thing I am going to caution you about though is the fact that the driver is a little bit old.

AMD AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M driver

Then you would need to download and Reinstall Microsoft DirectX readily available from the Microsoft Updates website. The link is below:

Reinstall Microsoft DirectX

Then after that you will be required to restart and recheck your Windows 7 updates. Install readily available or released updates. Instructions can be found on the link below:

Windows 7 Updates instructions

Once new updates have been found, especially Graphic Card driver updates, go for it.
Get back to me in case of complications.

Happy Easter.

Windows 7

I can answer questions based on the Windows 7 environment as in;

Windows XP assistance please visit WINDOWS XP TROUBLESHOOTING. For questions based on Viruses and Infections please visit COMPUTER SECURITY & VIRUSES.

I have got self-attained experience in the Windows 7 working environment. PS:I DON'T ACCEPT PRIVATELY BASED QUESTIONS