Windows 7/Icons

I turned on my computer and all my icons was gone about 20. How did that happen?

Hello Syndey

First of all you will want to make sure you are in fact signed in to your account and not a temporary one that can happen if your account information has become corrupt. Windows will typically tell you this upon start up so if you didn't get that error message you might want to just see if they have been turned off.

Right click anywhere on the desktop and choose PERSONALIZE (or on some systems VIEW-show/hide icons) if you have personalize then go the left hand menu and choose desktop icons. The following link may help with this:

Here is what Microsoft has to say about this possible issue:

There is also a very good chance that your system has become infected with malware/spyware and so for that you will want to perform a number of scans and cleaning. I suggest ccleaner, malwarebytes, ADWCleaner and hitman pro.

Here are the links:

To learn how to use ccleaner to its optimum abilities go to this link for a tutorial:

I hope one or all of these help you out.

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting  

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.