Windows 7/cannot create system image in hard disk

Dear Computers Unlimited

I am using windows 7 premium 64 bit genuine edition.

When I wanted to create a system image the only option available is on dvds only,  even though the hard drive option is shown. When I try to select the hard drive option, the  'next' button is faded.

I don't have external hard drive and I intend to save in the internal drive. How to activate this option?  The image is quite large, around 55gb and I don't want to use dvds.

Thank you. Reply and solutions very much appreciated.

Hi Eddie,
You cannot save a backup image to the same drive as you are backing up.

Also the location the image will be saved needs to be formatted NTFS.

This link maybe helpful to you

I do not recommend doing a complete system image. You only need to backup your personal files (documents, pictures, etc.).  I recommend using Syncback from It has a lot more features than the option Microsoft provides with Windows.

Windows 7

Computers Unlimited LLC

Computers Unlimited LLC can answer question in many areas of Windows 7 including installing, upgrading, downgrading and updating Windows 7. We can also answer question about security issues such as malware and virus removal.

15 years experience installing, configuring and troubleshooting, Windows based Operating Systems

2 Associate degrees in Information Technology 6 Career Study Certificates Pursuing a Bachelors degree in Computer Information Systems