Windows 7/Can I upgrade to Win 10 if Amd graphic chip not working and no driver, running on built in graphics.

Hello Mike

I hope I am in the right category and you can help.

My laptop is Dell Inspiron 14R N4110 running Intel i5 core 2 duo,  Windows 7 home premium, AMD Radeon 6630m graphics. The Amd Radeon chipset is no longer functioning and the driver is also disabled. It is currently using the built in Intel graphics. As a result in Device Manager the Intel graphics is shown, not the Amd driver.

I do not play any games and use it mainly to surf internet and word processing. Therefore the Intel built in graphics currently suffice.

I' ll like to know given the conditions can I upgrade to Windows 10 whereby the icon has already appeared in the desktop asking me to upgrade?  I am afraid windows update will start looking for and update Amd driver if I upgrade to win 10 and this will cause problems.

Your reply is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Hello Chan

Yes, no problem, I'm pretty sure you will have no troubles installing the upgrade to windows 10. In fact during the upgrade process it will check to make sure everything is compatible.  I have even installed it on a computer that has the windows icon in the system tray which states you are eligible for a free upgrade and then when I go to proceed it does the check and says it is not compatible due to the graphics card/chipset. This is true, in this case it was an ATI chipset/internal-integrated graphics on the motherboard.  I proceeded anyway by using the windows 10 media creation tool which you can learn more about from this link:

This is the way I have been upgrading most of my client computers.. have done about 160 since Windows 10 came out on July 29, 2015. Even though the icon is on the system tray stating "lets go" I  have found using this media creation tool method works flawlessly whereas using the 'lets go' from the icon has produced failed attempts that cause nothing but more time to upgrade since you need to first restart and then in most cases, delete the download data and start using the media creation tool is the best approach.

Hope this helps

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.