Windows 7/upgrade unstable Windows 7 to Windows 10?

My Dell computer which I bought in 2012 came with Windows 7 Home Premium. In the last year or so it's gotten unstable as far as booting and rebooting, sometimes it gets stuck on a black screen and doesn't get to the log in screen. I have to unplug it and then it USUALLY boots up but once it didn't and I needed MAJOR help. Since then I have disabled the Windows 7 automatic updates since they often require reboots.

I have tried using utilities including the Windows 7 startup repair on the CD, it found nothing and suggested System Restore which failed and I have no old restore points anyway. Various registry repair tools did nothing, neither did various virus and malware scans.

I have created a Windows 7 emergency boot CD and backed up my data but I am worried that the next crash might be worse than the last. I am wondering if at this point I should try the free Windows 10 upgrade which I've been putting off. Any advice?

Hello Theo

Yes yes yes! Absolutely.. reading what you have been going through, I would have suggested to simply reinstall windows anyway so the fact that you can upgrade to windows 10 for free, you will want to take advantage of it.  I suggest creating a media flash drive so that you have the ability to repair your computer as well as reinstall windows 10 from it if you do have troubles in the future. Once you have created the flash drive, go back and do the procedure again, only this time choose to UPGRADE your pc option.. Visit my blog post here:
This will provide you with the instructions and download link to create the media flash drive and proceed.  Note, this is the preferred method, even if you already have the windows upgrade icon on your system tray stating you are available to upgrade. This method works all the time.

I hope this helps

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.