Windows 7/upgrade to 10

QUESTION: Realistically, do I need to? And if I do, should I clean out unwanted start-up programs first, or later? ...and can you help me with that?

ANSWER: Thanks for your question!

Just so I can get a better idea on your system, could you tell me some of its specs such as processor, ram, hard drive space, and what you primarily use the computer for?

QUESTION: Premium 64-bit, 4GB ram, AMD Athlon 11 x 2  240 dual-core processor, 500GB hard drive. I have intermediate knowledge of computing and Windows. I use this computer for internet searches and YouTube videos. Not a gamer. Not a movie streamer. I have a basic 3MB per sec connection. I have Avast (free) anti-virus.

If you don't plan on doing anything too fancy or specific, and you're not eligible for the free upgrade to 10, I definitely wouldn't lose sleep over it.

For your purposes, Windows 7 will suit you perfectly well. The best way I can describe windows 10 to a new user is it's a hybrid of Windows 7 and 8. You still have the metro theme of 8,but you regain the start menu and overall feel of 7.

If you haven't looked into it, check out the link HERE for more info regarding the free update.

At the end of the day, the best advice I can give us don't fix what isn't broken. If you don't feel like learning the new features of 10, and you want to keep a familiar system that works, stick with 7. I cannot think of a benefit you would receive from the upgrade other than future security patches when windows 7 support stops in the distant future. By then, you will have probably already purchased a newer machine.

If you want to ask any more about Windows 10, feel free to follow up with me! I'm always happy to assist!  

Windows 7

I have familiarized myself with the windows environment since Windows 95. Windows 7 is one of the best operating systems i am familiar with, and am willing to help anybody with problems they may have. Be it hardware, software, or simply the Windows environment itself.

I have repaired computers most of my life. I am the site administrator of many websites for businesses including (but not limited to): (my site),, and more. I do local computer repair in my area and have a very satisfied clientele.

I am a Network Engineer at Southern Illinois Network Consultants and an EOD Technician for the U.S. Army.

I am currently a student at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. I am majoring in Criminal Justice with a second major in Computer Science.

Corporation Ambassador for Courtesy Corporation.

Valley Ranch and Cabins - Wisconsin