Windows 7/w-7 isn't genuine

On lower right corner I get: windows 7 - built 7601 - This copy of windows is not genuine.
I had this problem once before and solved it,but I forgot how.
I have tried several methods from internet and did not work.
This is on my laptop. I can't get on internet,but it says it is connected.I would like to correct this and then get w-10 for free.
Hope this has all information needed.
Thank you.

If you flip your laptop over, there should be the certificate of authenticity label which has the windows key that is registered to your laptop. That is what you will need when you start the upgrade process to windows 10. Infact in your current predicament where it is stating you are not genuine, I believe it will still work as it only requires a windows license.  Even if it fails you can still complete the installation on the windows 10 upgrade and after that, enter your existing windows key. If you have troubles, you can follow the simple windows activation process which will have you calling the toll free number and entering the existing key information and it will get activated.

It is not uncommon for the activation key to become corrupted over the years and since this activation is typically automatic when your computer is connected to the internet, in some cases when this fails you will need to go through calling the toll free number to get it solved. I would just wait until you have upgraded before doing anything and during the process, if you have found the registration key which should be on the underside of your computer then you should also be able to enter that during the process as Microsoft has said they would accept existing windows 7/8 keys during the upgrade process now.

Use the following link to learn more about this:

I hope this helps

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.