Windows 7/password

I need to reset my administrator password in w10.
I have tried and failed.They ask for a new one first,and want me to put in old password, if I knew my old one I would not need a new one?

My guess is you are dealing with the Microsoft Account password so you will first need to sign in to that and then you can change the method in which you sign in to your computer by  NOT using the microsoft sign in. Choose to sign in to your LOCAL ACCOUNT instead.

If you can't remember your current administration password then I suggest creating a new account and give it administrative rights. Then you can sign in to that account and move all of your data over to the new account. Once you have done that you can simply DELETE the old account.

The following links may also be of some help:

Hope this helps

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.