Windows 7/uninstalling windows 10 on old computer

QUESTION: My father has a dell desktop computer which is about 5 years old that was purchased with Windows 7.  My father must have clicked on something to install windows 10 because windows 7 is no longer showing on his computer.  The problem is, the computer is stuck at the logon page.  I have typed in his password but the computer won't do anything.  I have tried unplugging it and waiting 10 minutes to restart it and still I can't get the computer to go past the logon page.  My father is 92 years old and misses reading the wall street journal on it but I am helpless to help him.  Please tell me how to uninstall windows 10.   Thank you!

If you are at the login and don't know how to proceed, you can restart the computer to advanced settings and then from there you should be able to choose GO BACK TO WINDOWS 7

Use the following link to learn how to get to the advanced start options from where you are

basically holding the shift button and then clicking on the restart should provide you with this.

Once you get to the advanced start up options you should see the option to go back to previous build (windows 7)

Hope this helps

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

QUESTION: I went back to my dad's computer.  The first screen that comes up is the lock screen.  The top says welcome to Windows 10!  THe second line has their username and a box to enter in their password.  There is a next button at the bottom right.  There is no start button or restart option.  I tired a million options that I found online including your to get a start menu but still can't get one.   I can press F2 and access the set up menu.  

Is there a way to get to a start menu from the lock screen? Or, do what I need to do from the the F2 set up menu?

In order to get to the advanced start up menu you will first need to hold the shift key while you click on the power and choose restart.

Since you are at the lock screen you still have the ability to shut down or restart from the power button. If nothing else you can always just press AND HOLD the power on the computer until the system shuts off. If you do this then wait about 10 seconds before turning it on to allow the hard drive to spin down.  When you turn it back on you should get the boot up options. If it goes back to the sign in screen just do the same thing again. It may take a few tries but eventually you should get to the advanced boot options and you can then choose what I mentioned previously from the links provided.

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.