Windows 7/Win 7 - Change "Registered Owner"

Question
A little background is in order. Last year my wife, Sue, bought a factory rebuilt ASUS laptop with Win 7 Home Premium. She asked me to set it up for her. Everything went well during the setup except I misspelled her name as "Sur", just a typo. I thought that could not be corrected, until recently when I learned otherwise.

To correct it, I first had to "login as administrator". I have searched the Internet far and wide for Win 7 guidance, yet could not find any instructions that worked.

Can you give me explicit instructions to login as administrator? Please be specific, as my computer knowledge is limited.

Is there any way to tell whether I have actually logged in as administrator?

When that is accomplished and I can verify that I am logged in as administrator, I know I have to go into the Registry and change "Registered Owner". I know how to find, and have found, the "Registered Owner" entry in the Registry but obviously cannot correct it.

I figured that if you can answer my question about how to log in as administrator, I should then be able to correct the erroneous spelling, and my wife will be happy again.

Thank you very much.

Bob Kunz

Answer
Hi Bob!

The "Administrator" USER is disabled by default in all Windows 7 installs. First and foremost, in order to log in with the Administrator user, you must enable it.

This article is for Vista, but all versions since Vista are the same in this regard, and this article is easy to follow:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555910

You don't need THE Administrator account to make the changes you are wanting to make. In order to make registry edits to change the folder name, you just need A different administrator account to do it from, in which case, you could just create a new administrator user from the User Accounts app (go to Start and search for 'user accounts').

You also don't need ANY other user to change her username ... that can also be changed from the User Accounts app.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Good luck!

Windows 7

PowerEdge Tech