Windows 7/Changing Windows 10 Log In

Recently Microsoft forced the "update" to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I would now like to change the Log In email and password I originally used during the update to a different Hotmail address and password that I already have. I have researched ways to do what seems should be an easy process, but I am finding conflicting and confusing answers to the question. One answer seemed close to giving the step by step instructions I would like, but it advised I would have to Delete my present email account entirely during the process. I do not want to delete my present Hotmail account being used as the Log In. I want to keep it and access it through its own password, but no longer use it as my Log In email to get into Windows 10. Could you please provide step by step instructions concerning how to make this change to a new Log In email and password, but keep my present email intact? I would also appreciate instructions concerning the easiest way to then access my present email account since by changing the Log In to another email address the present account will no longer automatically open when logging in with a different Hotmail address. Thank you for your help. Bob

Hello Bob

Actually windows 10 does NOT require that you sign in to your "microsoft account" in fact if you don't want to always have to enter a password when you restart your computer, or do not want to be signed in to the microsoft network (along with everyone else that is using the same network) you can choose to sign in to your 'local account' and not have any password.

If you do want to continue to sign in to your microsoft account but want to use a different account then all you need to do is sign in to that account. Note a microsoft account can include a email or address.  If you simply want to change the email password for your one microsoft account then you will do this by going to the microsoft account through your web browser. Once you have changed it there then when you go to sign in to your computer using the same microsoft account that new password is what you would use.

The only advantage to being signed in to your microsoft account upon windows start up is if you regularly utilize things like a hotmail account or are constantly downloading/installing new apps from the microsoft store where you will need to sign in to your account however if you are already signed in on start up then you won't get notice of this.

Once you are signed in to your windows account you can click on the start menu and type ACCOUNT and it will provide you with the search results which will include your user account. YOu can then choose to change your sign in method.

Use the following link to sign in to your microsoft account

Use the following link for all other passwords:

I hope this helps

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.