Windows 7/downloads

Question
QUESTION: I recently got a new desktop pc (Windows 10) and had problems with it not powering up. Tech support remotely did diagnostics. I'm not a computer guy and and I saw that under 'downloads' there are a couple of things listed, like a 'chipset driver' for the motherboard and 'amifldrv64.sys' That seems to have fixed the problem. Just wondering, I'm not going to mess with them, but if those were accidentally deleted from the download list, would my computer revert to what it was, or would they still be in effect since they were actually downloaded?  Thanks

ANSWER: Hello, Lee. Thanks for your question.

What that person probably did was download some updates to your system and install them. This being the case,you can absolutely delete the files from the download list and folder without affecting your system in any way.

If you would like instructions on how to delete them,or if any further problems come up, please let me know!

QUESTION: Thanks Chris. This is a Dell pc and the tech guy said something about it being manufactured by Intel, so I guess it wasn't assembled or configured correctly when they shipped it to Dell. He said he's had to do the same thing on other machines, but I find it hard to understand why a brand new pc would need that kind of adjustment. It's been powering up like it's supposed to for the last 25 times I've turned it on, can I assume that what he did is a permanent fix? I still sometimes hold my breath when I press the power button lol.  Thanks again

Answer
Lee,

Yes, that is the unfortunate side of technology. In order to keep hardware running efficiently, the manufacturer of the processor (in this case, Intel) will occasionally release system updates to improve the stability, reliability, and efficiency of the system. In most cases, they will push this out via Windows update. However, sometimes the updates may not push your system properly. This is when someone will have to download and install them manually. This should not be an issue you have to deal with often,though. If it seems to be, I can definitely go into this further with you to see about preventing future problems.

Let me know!

Windows 7

Chris