Windows 7/Cannot wake up from sleep in win 10

I could not find the win 10 category. Hope you can help.

I just upgraded from 7 to 10. My problem is that when I press the power button or in the start menu to sleep, the laptop won't wake up and a black screen eventhough the ac is still on. I don't use battery. I have to off the button and reboot again to on the laptop again.

Please advise. Thanks.

There are a few things you are going to want to check on. Most of which have been dealt with in numerous windows forums as each laptop reacts differently. The first thing I would say is to make sure you have the latest device drivers including the latest bios available for your computer.  The device drivers, particularly the display driver, can cause this problem.

Next you will want to look at the power management.. since you said you are not using a battery then the settings should be adjusted accordingly.. take a look at this first link to see if this helps:

You may also want to try the following which I have copied from another forum with some success:

You computer's power-key [in the start menu] needs a popup menu with ' Hibernate' 'Shut Down' and 'Restart'.

1. Click starts > settings > system

2. Left side menu click > Power and Sleep.

3. Scroll down click > Additional Power Settings.

4. Left menu. For each of these Click > 'Choose what the power buttons do' and Click > 'Choose what closing the lid does'. Make these changes [battery and plugged in]:

When I press the power button ~ Hibernate.

When I press the sleep button ~ Turn Off the Display.

When I close the Lid ~ Sleep.

Now return to 3 above > Additional Power Settings and continue:

5. Look for 'Plan shown on the battery metre' and a highlighted circle. Yours could be 'Automatic balances or balances[recommended]. If your computer is highlighted [example DELL] use that option.

6. Adjacent your choice click 'Change Plan Setting'

7 On next screen click 'Change advanced power settings'

8. A new menu appears. Move down and click > Power Button & Lid

9. Go down the menu and make these changes [battery and plugged in];

Lid close .... change to 'Sleep' for both options.

Power Button ... change to 'Hibernate' for both options

Sleep Button ... change to 'Turn Off the display'.

Don't forget to OK before closing the process.

Power option key 'sleep' has now been removed and Hibernate installed.
Your computer should no longer crash to a black screen.
The start>power key now uses Hibernate, Shut Down or Restart.

I hope this helps solve your problems.

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Command prompt image
Command prompt image  

Thanks for your answer.

Before I start with the suggestions from the forum you showed me in the previous email I click on the link you gave me, the Windows club and did a command prompt as in step 4. I have attached the image.
Should i do anything with the Realtek controller?

Thanks once again

Hello again,

No that is your ethernet networking device which has the ability to 'wake on lan' as in wake the computer remotely if you send a magic packet through to the ip address your computer is on.. this has nothing to do with the problems you are having and Wake On Lan (WOL) can be on but if it is off no biggy.

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.